Parent Organizations>Budget Advisory Committee
Overall Goal of the BAC: Maintain the confidence of the Board and community in the strength and credibility of the District’s financial plans and processes by providing an independent third-party view through the following activities:
- Core Budgeting Activities
- Review Adopted Budget
- Review Monthly Interims
- Review Annual Audit and Audit Findings
- Assist with budgeting activities and give advice on increases and decreases in specific expenditures
- Assist with the preparation of annual parcel tax report card
- Tactical Budget Issues – examples from 2003-04:
- STRS funding
- COPS refinancing
- Basic Aid Study and transition strategy
- Reserve Study
- New Initiatives
- Assist with proposed initiatives from the Board, BAC, School Sites, etc.
- Examples: studies and/or advises on copiers, technology, energy, etc.
- School Site Plan analysis
- Contract and Policy Review
- Observation only in certain instances (respecting the non-public negotiation of certain contracts).
- Give advice on other commitments.
- Review maintenance agreements.
- Review structure of debt instruments
- Promote greater involvement from school sites in selecting BAC members
- Foster two way communications between Board and school sites
- Implement “best practices” strategy to assist school sites in creating and prioritizing new objectives.